sábado, junio 03, 2006

What Is "La Otra"?

A lot of people are asking themselves this question.

Well, Narco News provides with an answer by a guy that knows a thing or two about "The Other".

His name, Delegado Zero, formerly known as Sup Marcos.

Here you have it:

The Other According to…

Subcomandante Marcos’ words at the National School of Anthropology and History in Mexico City on Friday, Assisted by Durito, Elías Contreras, and Old Antonio

By Subcomandante Marcos
The Other Mexico

June 3, 2006

There is a discussion going on about what is myth and what is history.

I don’t know a lot about that, but I imagine that there are entire bookshelves, post-graduate studies, colloquiums, round tables, dedicated to the theme. Maybe this is even – I’m not sure – discussed in one of those classes given here or in other higher institutions with majors of so-called “humanities.”

And since we are talking about “humanity” and its irrationality, I ask myself if in humanities studies there are courses in “dignity” and if so who gives them and who gives tests in them.

Mmh… Or maybe that subject is given and tested collectively, in many places, and not just in a classroom.

And I ask myself also if dignity doesn’t go hand in hand with indignation, that feeling that is difficult to anchor with a definition but has to do with that rage that is felt in the gut when facing an injustice.

Maybe this capacity for indignation is one of the qualities of a human being. Ergo, a major in “humanities” ought to have courses in “dignity” and “indignation.”

What’s more, one shouldn’t be able to graduate as a human being if he doesn’t pass these courses.

Excuse me, please, if I have strayed a little, or a lot, from the theme.

It’s just because they didn’t give me a theme to talk about, but, rather because they just said to me, “come to the ENAH (National School of Anthropology and History) because we’re going to have a festival so that Mariana Selvas and Doc and Magdalena and all the prisoners know that they are not alone and that we will keep fighting for them.”

That’s what they said to me. And I thought: “Will I go?” And I answered: “Yes, I’m going.”

And since they didn’t give me a theme to talk about, I think I can talk about what is the Other Campaign, what defines it, paints it and forms it.

Or, for example, I could explain why I am in Mexico City, or more concretely at the ENAH at a cultural festival for freedom for the prisoners of Atenco, and not at meetings of adherents in Chihuahua, Sonora or Sinaloa. Or, better, in Chiapas.

And don’t believe it, I’m not very wise about Mexico City, but it seems that the ENAH is a little out of the way of where Doc and Mariana and Magdalena are. So I thought that I would have to raise my voice so that it travels very far.

And I am in this, which is to say, thinking about voices and distances, when I hear a voice below and to my left that says:

“That’s what it’s about, raising one’s voice.”

I feel a shiver up and down my beautiful spine and I say to myself, “that little voice, that little voice…”

And then I instinctively put my hand into the left pocket of my pants because that’s where I keep the tobacco and thinking, “don’t get stage fright, Marky.”

Where was I? Oh, yes, on the matter of them not giving me a theme for this talk at the ENAH.

0 Comments:

Publicar un comentario

Links to this post:

Crear un vínculo

<< Home